who we are
Launched in 1980 by a group of caring community members, Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful has spent the last four decades serving as a catalyst to a hyper-local, Mother Earth-centric movement. As a Keep America Beautiful-affiliated nonprofit, we strive to seek out, empower and grow our network of other caring community members to take action on behalf of our local cities, the surrounding environment and our county at large. By doing so, we are creating and sustaining communities that are economically sound, environmentally healthy and socially connected. More than that, we are fostering a new generation of environmental stewards and cultivating a sense of social responsibility among our movement members to care for our corner of the world – now and far into the future. Guided by a Citizen’s Advisory Board showcasing some of Gwinnett County’s most admired leaders, our existence is based on the creation of a community where individuals, families, organizations, small businesses, large corporations, institutions and municipalities take greater responsibility to improve our water, land, air and lives. When we all pitch in, our environment, our community, our families and our industries THRIVE! Together, we can keep Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful. After all, if we don’t… who will?
As a national, state, and locally recognized leader in community and environmental improvements, Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful is guided by these principles:
Educating and Communicating
These are the keys to encouraging positive behaviors and daily actions toward a healthier environment and more livable community.
Building and sustaining broad-based community alliances are essential to achieve long-term community improvements.
Improving the environment and quality of life begins with individuals becoming more engaged as citizens and stewards of the environment.
Engaging volunteers turns education and knowledge into visible results.
- Partnered with Gwinnett County government, schools and chamber
- Connie Wiggins named Executive Director of GC&B in 1985
- Launched school environmental education program
- Held 1st Christmas Tree Recycling event in GA
- Created model Litter Ordinance for GA
- Opened GA’s 1st public-private recycling center
- Saved Tribble Mill Park
- Created 1st Adopt-A-Stream program in GA
- Became Solid Waste Advisors for Gwinnett County + Cities
- Launched new curbside recycling program
- Implemented Adopt-A-Highway/Adopt-A-Road programs
- Launched 1st water quality storm drain stenciling program in GA.
- Created School Environmental Achievement Assessment and Awards program
- Improved Gwinnett’s Tree Ordinance & best management practices
- Hosted GA’s 1st Governor’s Environmental Address
- Created Gwinnett’s median beautification program
- Developed commercial recycling processing facility
- Implemented “No Idling” program at Gwinnett County Schools
- Launched Green & Healthy Schools Program
- Developed Green Youth Advisory Council for local HS students
- Schelly Marlatt named GC&B’s new Executive Director in 2016
- Became nonprofit-government hybrid affiliate
- Created ground-breaking projects and events such as Plant It Forward, Food Waste Warriors, Great Gwinnett Wetlands, the Recycling Bag Initiative, Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day through grant funding
- Honored as Best of Gwinnett in 2018 & 2019
- Launched new and interactive Adopt-A-Road app to streamline program
- Honored as Best of Gwinnett in 2020
- Collaborated on launching County’s curbside recycling education initiative through grant funding
- Introduced the Hefty® EnergyBag® drop-off program
- Co-founded the Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful Jim Steele Environmental Education Scholarship
- Assisted in expanding glass recycling drop- off opportunities
- Honored as Best of Georgia – 2020
- GC&B commemorated 40 years of “Connecting People and Resources for a Sustainable Gwinnett” in 2020
Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful is proud to collaborate with a wide variety of companies, schools and organizations throughout our community. Here are some of our most recent partners with which we are honored to work:
If your company or organization would like to explore opportunities to partner with Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful, we invite you to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.